Monday, January 29, 2007

Hello to Henry!

We have a furry addition to our family, a 5 pound, 8 week old Lab/German Shepherd mix. We got him from the Humane Society on Friday. He is just adorable, and rambunctious, and ferocious, just what we needed. I won't say there haven't been some tense times, I was so tired Saturday night, and we put him in his crate to go to bed. We put it in our bedroom, as we thought he might like to be included with everyone else in the same room. He put up the biggest fuss, making such a racket! We slid the crate into the spare bedroom, turned the light on very low, and shut the door. He whined and pitched a fit for about ten minutes, then finally shut up. I was so tired, it was a much bigger deal than it should have been. Luckily, Husband was able to take up my slack. Of course, any time I get tired or frustrated, I think, "Oh my God, am I going to be a terrible mother?" and so on. Additionally, I feel so guilty when I have to leave him, which is every day for 9 hours or so. The other dog is very hesitant around him, but has stopped snapping at him, and even allowed him to walk under her without any incident. I think things will be back to a routine in a week, I certainly hope so.
I went Sunday to visit my horse, and I left Husband and Henry alone. It was like leaving my baby for the first time, I kept wanting to call and check in! It was nice to get away for a bit though.
I received my Doppler on Friday, and tried to find the heartbeat that night, with no luck. I did not freak out though, as I've read countless accounts of this same experience. Saturday, I drank a lot of water so that I'd have a full bladder, moved the wand around and around, and suddenly, there was the woosh-woosh sound. The Doppler showed a rate of 165. It moved away after about 20 seconds, and I moved around for a while, and found it again, way high, just below and to the right of my belly button. This time it stayed there for a bit. It was so cool. Husband was in awe. I am theoretically at 12 weeks today; that doesn't mean anything to me, other than I'm getting closer to the time when things went bad for the last one. I sure hope I can be reassured by hearing the little woosh-woosh every day, particularly before the doctor's appointment, so I won't be completely ready to pass out before I go in. The pre-appointment anxiety is the worst!

No comments: