Monday, May 04, 2009

Rainy Weekend

This weekend was really, really great. S is feeling much better. I think he was teething before, because oh my God he was grouchy last week. It was really awful. We kept wondering if this is what normal kids act like. Whew! But we got through it, didn’t kill each other, and lo and behold, suddenly about Thursday, he was his old self again. Yay!

It rained, rained, rained all weekend. Somehow, I decided to be cheerful and optimistic rather than feeding into my usual rain negativity. It worked beautifully, and the weekend turned out to be really fun. We took S to a Japanese steak house for lunch for the first time. We’ve debated on taking him for quite some time, and finally I just decided for us. We have figured out that if we come up with a contingency plan, we feel a lot more secure about new situations. So, contingency plans were made (I’d take S outside and get mine to go), diaper bags were packed, and away we went. We get inside, and there is a guy with a freaking tile saw running, which made both of us enter Panic Level 1. S was fine, however. Whew! Dodged that one. Then we get to the table, seated, and the fire alarm goes off. With the blinking lights, the screaming sirens, everything. Panic Level 4!! Oh No! S got a little nervous, but handled it well. The rest of the experience was fine. We had to laugh; we were wondering if a man-eating lion was waiting for us in the parking lot. As for the actual meal, S absolutely loved it, loved being able to see so many people, and watching the chef in front of him was very entertaining for him.

We did a lot of playing in the house, it was raining too much to go outside, so we painted a lot, both finger paints and watercolors. S is in his abstract phase, I think. At any rate, we made it through a rain filled weekend with our spirits intact. Thank God we are renting a largish house, with plenty of room to run!

The Atlanta thing—I have heard nothing from the company, I don’t know for sure if that is a bad sign, but I’m leaning that way. The weird thing is, I’m not 100 percent sure I’d take it and move. After all the discussions of moving to a bigger city, now I’m second guessing myself. We started thinking about traffic, and how much time that would take away from our already miniscule time with S. We talked about access to camping, bike trails, hiking trails, which we have a lot of here. We talked about how close we are to Diane. We talked about the fact that yes, my job isn’t the best, but it isn’t the worst either. I work my 40 hours and go home, which is pretty good in this industry. S’s daycare situation absolutely, positively is the most awesome situation, despite the rocky start. So, we may actually be leaning towards staying here, at least for the next few years. The landlords told us that they have no intention of moving back, and are hoping we’ll continue to lease. The house isn’t perfect, it has a zillion stairs, and no yard for the dog, but is also has an awesome screened porch, trees, birds, and a large, if hilly, yard. But it is a nice house. We have lived there almost a year, and we have things somewhat worked out there for living. We’d really rather not pack up everything to move across town, and into a possibly worse situation.
So, to sum it up-- the old S is back, yea! Atlanta is still a maybe, leaning toward no.

No comments: